Wednesday, August 29, 2018

My Experience As A Defender In An Exciting Inter Class Soccer Tournament

Watching the heavy rains and soccer world cup matches this year often reminded me of great soccer moments of my wonder years – some excellent goals and some near misses – especially a powerful header that hit a coconut tree less than a meter from the goal. But my favourite memories are from the Eight Standard Inter-Class Football
Tournament in which I was lucky to have participated in, all thanks to my dear friend and a truly wonderful sportsperson, Rayboy Fernandes who left our world at a very young age. Rest in peace, dear friend. In fact, our batch must have been jinxed as we were unfortunate to have lost many of our classmates soon after we left school. RIP.

St. Stanislaus High School, our Alma Mater, boasted of some of India’s greatest sportsmen including some Olympic greats in hockey. We were brilliant in soccer too and that’s why even interclass matches were highly competitive and fascinating. I was hoping to be a forward in the team, but Rayboy, our captain, insisted that I become a defender if I wished to play at all. Disappointed, I agreed to play in that position. Rayboy instructed me to remain near the goalkeeper and kick the ball as far as possible into the centre of the field whenever possible. Little did I know then that defenders could even score goals – as we see so often nowadays!

First Match 8D Vs 8A

We were then in Teacher Sushma Bhatia’s 8D class. Many of our players were prominent sport stars of our school and we really fancied our chances in this tournament. In the first game, our opponent was an extremely weak team – Class 8 A. The format we adopted is more commonly used in hockey than soccer with just two defenders, putting
even more responsibility on someone like me who had never been positioned at the rear before. But I remember kicking the ball right into the centre of play during the match a couple of times, and winning some praise and encouragement from my team mates. We won the
match easily, about 8-0 I think. The goals were simply amazing, including some brilliant ones from Rayboy himself.

Second Match 8D Vs 8B

I think our team had peaked too early in the tournament as we seemed to be getting worse with every match we played. We did win the next match against 8B but it was with great difficulty that we managed to accomplish this feat. I didn’t do any noteworthy defending in this game. The victory margin must have been something like 2-0.

Third Match 8D Vs 8C

It was a very rainy day when we played 8C and water was everywhere. The field was soggy and tiny pools of muddy water surrounded us. The goalkeeper didn’t show up and I was coerced into being the guardian at the goal. It was my worst nightmare ever. I stood like a statue as the ball went past me from every possible angle. There was too much muddy water around for a first-time goalkeeper to think about diving and stopping the flood of goals. ‘Daag Achhe hain’ was not cool then, it was more like ‘Daag, my mother will kill me’. I think at least six goals were scored by our opponents.

Semi Final Match: 8D Vs 7 B

The worst possible feeling for a sportsman is probably to lose to a lower ranked player or a younger competitor or, in our case, a junior team. When 8D played 7B in the semi-finals, we were hopelessly outplayed by a much talented bunch of players. Their two wingers on either side created havoc in our camp. Both players were tall, lanky and could kick the ball hard and far. The winger near me was Kevin and I tried to mark him as best as I could. I bravely placed my body in the way of his powerful kicks and seemed to
win some admiration from him. I was a chintu as compared to him although he belonged to a junior class. It wasn’t a David-Goliath type of situation but we did manage to restrict the defeat to 0-2. Our dreams of being inter-class champions had been shattered.

Third Place Play-Off: 8D Vs 8C

When we played 8C the next time round – in the third place play-off match, it was bright and sunny, and a different ball game altogether. We dominated the match completely and scored a 3-1 victory. It was sweet revenge. I was not included in the playing XI but I supported my team enthusiastically from the school shed and the sidelines. Our team finally got some solace from this tournament.

I must place a disclaimer here that since these matches were held a long time ago, the scorelines (and not the results) may vary a bit from the actual ones. I have never been a defender or goalkeeper since then – in fact, I have not played in many matches after that experience. But the takeaway for me from this tournament was that you
can surprise yourself and others no matter in which role you play. Just give it your best shot and the results are bound to follow. And, I also learned that defending is not at all a trivial task - in fact, defenders such as the defenders of citizens’ rights play a vital role in every nation and in the entire world. Yes, being a defender can be cool too!

5 comments :

  1. Webzino is one of the top mobile application Developers Company in Mumbai, India. Our mobile application developers create iPhone, iPad, Android, HTML5 and Windows apps

    Mobile App Developers in Mumbai,
    Mobile App Development company,
    Mobile Application Development company

    https://webzino.in/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Webzino is one of the top mobile application Developers Company in Mumbai, India. Our mobile application developers create iPhone, iPad, Android, HTML5 and Windows apps

    Mobile App Developers in Mumbai,
    Mobile App Development company,
    Mobile Application Development company

    https://webzino.in/

    ReplyDelete
  3. WebZino Technologies is a prominent and preferred Global IT Consulting and Software Services Company providing competitive services worldwide. We provide services across all the industries like Banking & Finance / Ecommerce & Retail / Education & eLearning / Healthcare / Insurance / IT & Consulting / Manufacturing / Media & Entertainment / News & Publications / Startups / Telecom etc.

    We have expertise on the following services:

    - Web development
    - Mobile Applications
    - Cloud Computing
    - QA & Testing
    - Internet of Things (IoT)
    - Analytics & Big Data
    - AR / VR
    - UX / UI Design
    - Team Augmentation
    - Staff Augmentation
    - Digital Marketing
    - Internet Marketing
    - Software Consulting
    - Customize software
    - Digital Marketing
    - SEO / SEM
    - Server Administration
    - IT Operations Management
    - ERP Solutions
    - CRM Solutions
    - LMS (Learning Module System)
    - eLearning Solutions

    Please do contact us on maria.lewis@webzino.in or info@webzino.in to assist you on your specific requirements.

    https://webzino.in/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am impressed. This is a fantastic blog. Thanks for magnificent information we are Detectives in Hyderabad

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent Blog. I really want to admire the quality of this post. I like the way of your presentation of ideas, we are Best Detectives in Hyderabad

    ReplyDelete

Post sensibly