Saturday, November 5, 2011

'Twas the night after Christmas

'Twas the night after Christmas, when partying was done,
The world had got drained of all the laughter and fun,
Empty booze bottles lay scattered around,
Ambitious Christmas dreams had crashed on the ground .

The feelings of peace, love and goodwill had gone,
Men fought and quarreled till the break of the dawn,
Sorrow and depression were replacing happiness and cheer,
This would be the trend until Christmas next year.

The shopping spree was over, the money had vanished,
The spirit of Christmas had been altogether banished,
The decorations so beautiful, no one admired them any more,
This joyous, merry season had become a bore.

I sat on the sofa, a frown on my face,
My world was in tatters, I was losing the race,
My wife had been crying, her eyes were quite red,
She cursed me so fiercely, I wished I was dead.

The children were sad, no smile did they give,
Their cheeks stained with tears, they were learning to live,
For their fantasy world had been smashed into parts,
The new gifts were broken, and so were their hearts.

I opened the door, and went for a stroll,
When I bumped into Santa, the legend from the North Pole,
His face was not merry, his shoulders drooped low,
This icon of Christmas had nowhere to go.

"I distributed no presents, my elves were on strike",
He told me very sadly, "They wanted a hike";
I left the poor creature alone in the cold,
There was no love for life but only for gold.

The warmth of the season, it had turned into ice,
Since mankind had forgotten the art of being nice,
'Twas the night after Christmas, when most of us sighed,
For the magic of Christmas had faded and died.

19 comments :

  1. This sounds better than Wordsworth or Shakespeare!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No praise is enough!!! Great work!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey seems like the author is blushing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Overall I feel that this is a nice poem... a bit sad...a bit melodious...a bit melodramatic...a mixture of everything. It's freat to interact with a poet like you, Vivek,

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dorothy, do you think that this poem should be in a school or college text book?

    ReplyDelete
  6. An Anna a day keeps the doctors at play.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There will be no Christmas until Lok Pal bill has been passed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Is "bol" a Hindo word by any chance?

    ReplyDelete
  9. So cool! The night AFTER Christmas; who would have thought?

    ReplyDelete

Post sensibly